November 16, 2011

Messina, or where Sicily meets Italy

I'm sure that none of you had ever hear about italian city called Messina, neither did I, untill I googled all possible tourist attractions not far from Catania XD And as i had a free day (like any other) i decided to go there. It was quite easy to do by train (and i love trenitalia) so i just came there.

I knew that i would love Messina when on my way there in the window i saw italian coast! Not sicilian, but italian! And so so close... It is hard to describe, but it was like deja vu from my big summer trip. But later about it =)
Duomo

As always i had no idea where to go or what to visit, so i just came to the city and walked around. Then i saw big church so it was obviously Duomo, very beautiful, that reminded me of the one in Florence. Then i saw another one that was on the hill and for sure i climbed there) From there i had an amazing panoramic view on the strait between Sicily and Italy.

love this art piece 
You know, for me Sicily isnt Italy, they are like different countries actually, so seeing Italy was a real temptation because i missed it so much and it was so easy to go there from Messina, because Messina is a harbor city and has very god ferry connection, but you can be proud of me, i overcame myself)

What else did i like about Messina? Well, as you may know i study literature in my university and I've read Odyssey there, and Messina is the place that was described as Scilla and Haribda monsters, so i felt a bit like part of a huge greek history there)

After i went to the harbor, walked around the city, ate something, said goodbye to my beautiful and so close italy and took train back to rainy Catania.