February 2, 2011

Real first day in Hamburg







Today i spent all day in Hamburg, and i have to say it was a nice day. As you remember yesterday i was a little bit disappointed in everything, that's why i decided to use my favorite site couchsurfing and it was very wise decision, because one nice german man (not all of them are so rude) offered me help: he wrote me some interesting places that i can visit. So i wrote down all information that he gave to me and went to the city. I saw several old churches (even one of them was destroyed during the second world war), the oldest bridge in hamburg, local red light district, huge monument of Otto von Bismark, port, famous fish market, took ferry round Elbe and did something else, but i don't remember =)
Thing that disappoints me is weather here - at morning it was cold, than it became so windy that i didn't feel my hands and than began to rain, after what all roads was covered with ice. But i don't want to complain) So, if you go to Hamburg don't forget to take a lot of worm and waterproof closer.
I really like public transport here, it is very comfortable,  safe, warm and goes everywhere. The bad thing is it's price - day ticket for the all transport costs 5,50 euros, but it is much more cheaper than buying a ticket every time you need to go somewhere.
And i really like Starbucks here - it is cheaper than in Moscow, has free WiFi, and they ad really a lot of cream into your coffee. But unfortunetly i've found only two and both of them are in the very center, which btw i already know very well, because it is really easy)
Oh i remembered what else i did! I found tunnel under the Elbe river (20m down). This river divides city into two parts: beautiful and old and new one, where there are only factories. But from this new ugly side you have an amazing view on the old one)
I can say that Hamburg is quite interesting city, but you have nothing to do here at winter.